Azithromycin is an antibacterial medicine that is mainly used to treat various types of bacterial infections. Some of them are bronchitis, pneumonia, STD(sexually transmitted diseases). Some other bacterial infections like ear, throat, skin, lungs are treated by Azithromycin. It is usually used to stop bacterial infection. One thing it cannot be used in viral infections like flu, cold cough. This medicine has a class of drugs which is known as Macrolide. The main work is to stop the bacteria from spreading in the body. The US food & drug administration approved this medicine in 1991.
What is Azithromycin used for?
Azithromycin is an antibiotic medicine. The main work is to cure a bacterial infection. This medicine is used for ear infections, throat, diarrhea, pneumonia, malaria & many other infections. Azithromycin medicine is available in both generic & brand names. Azithromycin brand name medicine is Zithromax.
How to use this medicine?
Take this medicine orally as directed by the doctor. Put the medicine under the tongue & swallow the medicine with the help of any drinkable things. Take this medicine daily 1 time with food or without food. If you are feeling that your stomach is upset, take the medicine with food only. You should be aware of the medicine time. For better results take all the medicine until they will not finish. Do not stop taking the medicine, when all bacterial infections have gone. If you stop the medication too early, you may allow the bacteria to grow, potentially causing an infection to return.
What not to take with azithromycin
- If you are taking azithromycin, don’t take aluminum or magnesium antacid before or after taking it. Due to the fact that antacids decrease azithromycin’s effectiveness.
- If any allergic reaction(rashes, or breathing issue) you notice suddenly stop taking the medicine & seek the medical advice urgently.
- Take the medicine as directed by your doctor, do not stop the medicine. if you feel good, complete the full course which your doctor has prescribed for you. If you do not complete the course so the bacterial infection may reverse back.
- See a doctor if you experience symptoms of liver disease such as yellowing of the skin, white of the eyes, colored stool, vomiting, or nausea.
- Before taking the azithromycin inform your doctor, If you are a breastfeeding mother or planning to become a mother.
- Do not take azithromycin when you are allergic to macrolides or other medicine like azithromycin. Don’t take this medicine if you are already allergic to it. It may damage your liver.
Who cannot take Azithromycin?
Azithromycin cannot be prescribed for those children who are below 6 months. It cannot be treated in the throat, or tonsil infection below the 2-year-old children.
Is azithromycin good for viral fever?
Azithromycin is used in bacterial infections like ear, throat, sinus infection, pneumonia, diarrhea & many others. But it cannot be used in viral infections like flu, cold, fever.
Side effects of Azithromycin?
All the medicine has some side effects of the same case in azithromycin. But if someone who uses this medicine may face rare side effects of it. As per the research, 0.7% of people have stopped taking the medicine because of its side effects.
Some of the common side effects noticed in clinical trials are:-
- Pain in the stomach
Rare side effects which are noticed around 1% in the people:
- Chest pain
- Dry skin
Some of the serious side effects which are noticed while taking the medicine are:
- Liver damage in those people who already have a liver disease.
- Heartbeat issue with those who are already taking heartbeat medicine like older people & low blood pressure patients..
- Serious allergic reaction
If I overdosed?
If you have overdosed on azithromycin. you can suffer from dangerous side effects of it. You may suffer from liver damage, heart palpitation, breathing issues. If you take too much azithromycin so anyone in your family who is taking care of you should dial 911 or the poison control room number.
Here are some symptoms during the overdosed:
- Breathing problem
- Irregular heartbeat
- Liver damage
- Like passing out not be able to awake
Does Azithromycin treat Covid pneumonia?
The researcher has found that azithromycin is not beneficial for patients who are tested covid -19 positive. This medicine even does not work so well alone or with other covid medicines.
How quickly does Azithromycin work?
This medicine takes around 1 week to completely kill the bacteria. In some cases, it takes 2 weeks to cure the infection. When you are sexually active during this period, it is possible that you will contract this infection even if you do not show any symptoms.